S.S. Peter & Paul J.N.S. has a long record of educating the young people of Balbriggan. We started this tradition back in the 1860’s as the Infant School on Chapel Street, behind O’ Regan’s Newsagent, where the abattoir used to be.
The school was a wooden structured building in the shape of a crucifix, which was the original Catholic Church in Balbriggan. When starting in Junior Infants the boys and girls went into the left arm of the cross under the Principalship of Mr. Corry. After Holy Communion at 7 years of age, the boys moved into the right arm of the cross under the Principalship of Mr. Keely and the girls moved down to Convent Lane. The boys and girls remained in S.S Peter and Paul’s until they left Primary School at the age of 14.
The earliest examination record is from 1867 where the Inspector Edward Mac Creanor stated “the Infant School lately opened and well attended, is likely to be of great advantage to this town” –
By the late 1920’s, the school building on Chapel Street was in a terrible condition and severely overcrowded. A new school building was finished on 24th May 1935 and the Infant School, Girls’ Senior and Boys’ Senior all moved into it to form S.S Peter & Paul National School which is the fine building you are all familiar with today.
In 1974, to cater for growing numbers in the school, the current single storey structure was built as a four classroom Infant School and Mrs Whitney, the Principal, moved across the yard with her staff and pupils. She retired in 1977 and was replaced by Mrs Whelan as Principal.
In 1989 the Infant School and the now mixed Senior School where Mr. McIlgorm was Principal, restructured and St. Molaga’s S.N.S. and S.S. Peter & Paul J.N.S. were born!
Mrs. Whelan retired on 30th September 1997 after 44 years in the school and on 1st November of the same year, Mrs Frayne took over as Principal. She then retired on the 8th April 2018 and following in her mother’s footsteps, Ms Whelan then took over principalship.
The school continues to flourish and cater for the needs of a growing and diverse population in the lovely seaside town of Balbriggan, while at the same time maintaining its proud traditions.